Advanced Kapacitor usage
Chronograf provides a user interface for Kapacitor, InfluxData’s processing framework for creating alerts, running ETL jobs, and detecting anomalies in your data. Learn how Kapacitor interacts with Chronograf.
Manage Kapacitor alerts
Chronograf provides information about Kapacitor alerts on the Alert History page.
Chronograf writes Kapacitor alert data to InfluxDB as time series data.
It stores the data in the
By default, this data is subject to an infinite retention policy (RP).
If you expect to have a large number of alerts or do not want to store your alert
history forever, consider shortening the duration
of the default retention policy.
Modify the retention policy of the chronograf database
Use the Chronograf Admin page to modify the retention policy in the
In the Databases tab:
- Click InfluxDB Admin in the left navigation bar.
- Hover over the retention policy list of the
chronografdatabase and click Edit next to the retention policy to update.
- Update the Duration of the retention policy.
The minimum supported duration is one hour (
1h) and the maximum is infinite (
∞). See supported duration units.
- Click Save.
If you set the retention policy’s duration to one hour (
automatically deletes any alerts that occurred before the past hour.
Manage Kapacitor tasks
Manage Kapacitor TICKscripts
Chronograf lets you view and manage all Kapacitor TICKscripts for a selected Kapacitor subscription using the TICKscripts page.
To manage Kapacitor TICKscripts in Chronograf, click Alerting in the left navigation bar and select TICKscripts. Do one or more of the following:
- View Kapacitor TICKscript tasks. You can view up to 100 TICKscripts at a time. If you have more than 100 TICKscripts, the list will be paginated at the bottom of the page. You can also filter your TICKscripts by name.
- View TICKscript task type.
- Enable and disable TICKscript tasks.
- Create new TICKscript tasks.
- Update TICKscript tasks.
- Rename a TICKscript. Note, renaming a TICKscript updates the
var namevariable within the TICKscript.
- Delete TICKscript tasks.
- Create alerts using the Alert Rule Builder. See Configure Chronograf alert rules.
Click Exit when finished.
Manage Kapacitor Flux tasks
Kapacitor 1.6+ supports Flux tasks. Chronograf lets you view and manage Flux tasks for a selected Kapacitor subscription using the Flux Tasks page.
To manage Kapacitor Flux tasks in Chronograf, click Alerting in the left navigation bar and select the Flux Tasks option. Do one or more of the following:
- View and filter Kapacitor Flux tasks by name.
- View Kapacitor Flux task activity.
- Enable and disable Kapacitor Flux tasks.
- Delete Kapacitor Flux tasks.
For more information on Flux tasks and Kapacitor see Use Flux tasks with Kapacitor.
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for your feedback!
Support and feedback
Thank you for being part of our community! We welcome and encourage your feedback and bug reports for Chronograf and this documentation. To find support, use the following resources: