To back up only the cluster metastore, use the
-strategy only-meta flag.
Backups are incremental by default, meaning they create a copy of the metastore
and shard data that have changed since the previous incremental backup.
If there are no existing incremental backups, the system automatically performs
a complete backup.
InfluxDB Enterprise supports the following backup strategies:
- only-meta: Back up metastore data only, including users, roles, databases, continuous queries, and retention policies. This strategy does not back up shards.
- full: Back up metastore and all shard data.
- incremental: (Default) Back up metastore and shard data that has changed since the last incremental backup. If there are no existing incremental backups, the system automatically performs a full backup.
influxd-ctl backup [flags] <backup-dir>
- backup-dir: Directory to store backup files in
|Database to backup
|End date for backup (RFC3339 timestamp)
|Estimate the size of the requested backup
|Data node TCP address to prefer when backing up
|Perform an full backup (deprecated in favour of
|Retention policy to backup
|Shard ID to backup
|Start date for backup (RFC3339 timestamp)
|Backup strategy to use (
- Perform an incremental backup
- Perform a full backup
- Estimate the size of a backup
- Backup data from a specific time range
- Backup a specific shard
Perform an incremental backup
influxd-ctl backup /path/to/backup-dir
Perform a full backup
influxd-ctl backup -full /path/to/backup-dir
Estimate the size of a backup
influxd-ctl backup -estimate
Backup data from a specific time range
influxd-ctl backup \
-start 2023-01-01T00:00:00Z \
-end 2023-06-01T00:00:00Z \
Backup a specific shard
influxd-ctl backup -shard 00 /path/to/backup-dir
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for your feedback!
Support and feedback
Thank you for being part of our community! We welcome and encourage your feedback and bug reports for InfluxDB and this documentation. To find support, use the following resources:
Customers with an annual or support contract can contact InfluxData Support.